Translate

Monday 16 March 2015

Things That Happen to Me #1

 I have it really good in Japan, so there's not much that I can be "grumbly" about. That said, this happens to me way too much.

For those that don't understand, two things are wrong with this statement.
1) The assumption that all Americans are fat (with a negative connotation)
2) That every English speaking person is American.

Needless to say, I get a variation of this statement about once a month. It's supposed to be a compliment, so I'm usually very "smiley" and I thank the person.

Commenting on someone`s weight is not as taboo in Japan as it is in North America. The previous statement is not necessarily a good or a bad thing; It's a cultural difference. I am slightly uncomfortable when this happens to me, but it doesn't ruin my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment